Right before the holidays got really crazy for Baking for Good, I made this chocolate cashew brittle as a homemade gift for a friend. It’s perfect to serve at a New Year’s Eve party or to give as gifts when you visit friends over the holidays. You might just find you have all of the ingredients in your cabinets already. Other nuts can be used in place of the cashews. Happy holidays!
Chocolate Cashew Brittle
- Distribute 1 cup of the nuts on a foil lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat, constantly stirring until the butter melts. Continue to stir constantly for 5 minutes or until the mixture deepens to a caramel color.
- Quickly pour the mixture over the nuts, trying to distribute evenly. Allow the brittle to cool completely.
- While the brittle cools, melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring until the chocolate is smooth. Spread the melted chocolate over the cooled brittle. Sprinkle remaining cashews over the chocolate before it hardens.
- Let the brittle harden completely (you can refrigerate it for 20 minutes to speed this part up).
- Break apart and enjoy!